Friday, August 15, 2008

Pre-departure message

To My Loved Ones,
    Just wanted to introduce everyone to the blog I will be keeping during my time in the Peace Corps. I was going to try a mass e-mail but this website seems to be easier to use and I am hoping to update it about once a month, but that all depends on my accommodations. Here is my current update.
    I leave Sunday morning, August 24th and I am heading to Miami, FL for a 3 day pre-service training known as staging. After the 3 days in Florida I will be flying to St. Lucia and living in a hotel for 1 night, and then with a family for the next few weeks while I continue my training. Once I am sworn in for Peace Corps service I serve 2 years. Oh, by the way, I will be spending my time in St. Lucia, thus the title of my blog. ; ) It is an island in the Eastern Carribean so I can finally be the beach girl I always knew I was!  
    Really, this entry is to introduce you (and me) to this blog and hopefully it is a way for us to keep in touch while I am away. The support from my family and friends is really important and will certainly help me through the process. I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has supported me since I began the application process last fall. 
    Currently I am scared to death, but also super excited to start my service. I am sure I will be going through many challenges such as: learning a new language, kweyol (creole), learning to live by myself, and representing the country while also staying true to myself. It will be a difficult journey but I am excited and glad that I have found an outlet to share it with you all!!

                                                                                            Hugs and Love,
                                                                                             Kelli
    

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Kelli,
I am SO anxious to hear about your travels..

...I am sure you are filled with many emotions as you get close to departing...
As you live in a new culture.. I hope you absorb..appreciate..and of course learn.

As you expand your limits and comfort..

May this be just the start of your continued growth..
Much love, Aunt Carol and Uncle Jim