Friday, September 26, 2008

A little Info...

Hello Everyone!
So I am still having issues with the picture thing.. Everyone can expect them in three weeks. That will be one of the first things I do. I am also going to make myself a hammock!! I think I am going to use the Madras print (which is the national print) to make a sweet hammock for my porch. How is the weather back in the U.S.? I am jealous that the weather is starting to get cold. I feel like I have exciting things to tell everyone but I can't think of them right now....

Last weekend it rained for three days straight and our water turned brown. I was still able to shower but we avoided drinking it. (yet we still cooked with it). I guess we were lucky though because a lot of the communities around us had their water shut off! People living as close as 10 minutes away did not have any water for a few days! Yikes! One of the volunteers' families actually showered (i.e. naked with soap) outside on the back steps. Just thought that was funny!

Ok, I realized recently when talking to my family on the phone, that I haven't really explained the basics of St. Lucia. Before I arrived here I knew nothing about this Country except that many people come here on honeymoons. I was under the impression I would be living in a grass hut.... I WAS VERY WRONG!! We have all of the amenities of houses in the United States. I should preface this statement by saying that my host family is very wealthy compared to the community. But we have almost everything the same as the United States. .. computers, internet, clothes washer, car, toilets, sinks, showers.....We don't have a clothes dryer or dish washer, but they definitely aren't necessary. We live a very nice life. I should also note that there are people who live in extreme poverty. In Choiseul at least 30% of the community is living under the poverty line. But where I am moving I will have running water, a clothes washer, an over, a refrigerator, but I will not have warm water or a dryer.. Oh yeah, and I will also have a madras hammock!!! :) Just throwing that out there! Anyway, sorry this wasn't very interesting but I wanted everyone to know that I am living very similar to the United States.

Love!!!
Kelli

No comments: