Monday, January 5, 2009

Happy 2009!!

AAAAHHHH!!! I cannot believe that it is already 2009. That means that in a year I will be coming home! (actually I return home in October 2010 but if one was only looking at the year then it would seem much faster) The holiday season has come and passed. Thankfully I survived, although there was a lot of homesickness in December I survived, thanks largely in part to my friends on the island and to my adorable pup, PJ. His fully name is PJ Sparkles and he is the love of my life! It was very difficult to raise him at first but things are slowly getting better. I spend more time at home in order to be with him and I can not spend nights away from home. Did I mention how adorable he is?? I do not really notice his growth since I am with him all the time but after looking at pictures from when I first got him I have realized the he is getting huge! Although he is difficult to train he is very smart. (I know everyone says that about their pets, and their children, but it is true) I have finally taught him to quit biting my toes but he still tries to chew on my fingers. He has taught me that dogs, like children, are best tog et when they are babies because they are soo cute you cannot get mad at them. Then, by the time they are old, you are already so in love with them that you put up with their craziness. That is just a little theory I have been working on but I definitely think it rings true. Anyway, he is a HUGE responsibility but I love him and I am very happy I made the decision to become a dog owner. 
   So the holidays in St. Lucia...Thanksgiving was delicious!! My favorite part was eating the fudge that Margo's sister brought. Margo is the Peace Corps director for the Eastern Caribbean. The food was amazing and it was shared with great company. The month of December was slow because it was more of a family style month in Choiseul. There was not much work to be done so I spent my time hanging out with friends and playing with PJ. On December 23rd we were all invited to a lunch at the house of the Peace Corps Warden, Bill Jackson. I am still unclear what a "Peace Corps Warden" does but he and his wife were incredibly nice to host us for a Christmas meal. The food was amazing!!! I ate 3 plates full or turkey, ham, stuffing and other scrumptious side dishes. Then on Christmas eve I went to midnight mass. It was supposed to begin at 11 PM. I arrived at 11:20 and mass finally began at 11:45. The service was nice but because of the heavy rain it was pretty empty. I still felt like I fulfilled my Catholic obligations by attending and it was a nice way to end 2008. On Christmas Day I spoke with my family over the internet and visited with a few of my friends from Choiseul. It was very laid back and I really missed home but surviving Christmas has made me stronger. 
New Years Eve was much different than Christmas. My friends Hallie and Jason, fellow Peace Corps volunteers, came to my house so we could celebrate together. Hallie did not feel well so Jason adn I went to the village to celebrate. We participated in a St. Lucian tradition known as a Jou ouve` (which is the Patois name for dawn or daybreak). Basically, you stay up until the sun rises. Jason and I had our fair share of Pitons (the beer brewed in St. Lucia) and we had a great time among my friends from Choiseul. It was surprising how many people I knew and it was nice to feel surrounded by friends to welcome in the New Year. Today is my first day back at work. I am excited to get back to work and I cannot wait to see what 2009 has in store! A few other highlights from break.... Visiting a few secluded beaches with the other volunteers. A hike across the rainforest from one side of the island to the other and back again. And attending an event at the field near my house called, "Square." On the last week of school in December I also went with a group of teachers from my school to climb Gros Piton which is a huge mountain in St. Lucia. The aforementioned beer is named after this mountain and Petit Piton the other in the mountain range. I have been keeping busy but still enjoying myself. I hope that everyone had a great holiday season and they are optimistic for 2009. I love and miss you all!!!

Kelli

No comments: