Monday, February 1, 2010

Peace Corps Choiseul


As soon as I tell anyone I am Peace Corps volunteer, whether it is in Saint Lucia or the United States, they ask me "What exactly do you do?" So I am going to briefly explain what I do/have done. The Peace Corps' mission has three goals-

1. Helping the people of interested countries in meeting their needs for trained men and women.
2. Helping promote a better understanding of Americans on the part of the peoples served.
3. Helping promote a better understanding of other peoples on the part of Americans.

They tell us at training that Peace Corps is a 24/7 job. This has been difficult for me at times. I am used to focusing when necessary and then relaxing when I have free time. Not to say that I am always tense here, but sometimes I forget that my actions (everyday and every night) reflect the Peace Corps program and the Saint Lucian view of United States citizens. Let's just say I have made some mistakes. I have been friends with questionable people, I have partied a little too hard, I have been in some difficult situations, but I have learned and grown from every experience. I am a 23 year old woman and I still have a lot to learn, that being said one of the things I appreciate about the Peace Corps is the idea of their three main goals.

The first goal is addressed everyday by my worksite at the Education Office. I report to the office 4 days a week and use it as my home base. I do all of my computer work here and it is the area where I can be reached to collaborate on projects within the schools. I am a Youth Development volunteer so Peace Corps believes I will be most effective if I am working within the schools. Here are a few different programs I have worked on: A pen-pal program between a Grade Four class here and a Fourth/Fifth grade class in the United States. Starting a Girl Guide company at one of the Primary schools. Football for Lives (an HIV/AIDS education program). Working with a Healthy Lifestyle/HIV/AIDS After-School program at a Primary School. Working on Football skills with females at the Secondary School. And other various activities. The education office is my "Primary Worksite" but I also have secondary projects. I enjoy working with the Choiseul Council of/for Persons with Disabilities. A few of our events have been a Christmas party for Children with Disabilities and a summer camp for Children with Disabilities. I also work on a Youth and Sports committee and we have had a very successful Recreation Day last summer which encouraged families to come and play games and enjoy some good, clean, fun. This year I plan to help with the Choiseul Carnival planning committee to help plan for Carnival. I also like to help out with whatever random things I can... My life is volunteering so if I am asked to help I will not say no.

Goals two and three are accomplished everyday. They are accomplished through the pen-pal program, through my visits home and family and friends visiting here. I am constantly singing the praises of Saint Lucia and also answering any and all questions about the United States from my Saint Lucian friends. Sometimes when I have difficulties getting motivated at the Education Office, I just remember goals two and three. So far I am proud of the work I have done here but there is soooo much more for me to do. I guess I should stop writing my blog and get to work!! Thanks to everyone reading this for supporting me in my journey! I love you all!!


No comments: